The world of medicine is seeing a constant change, and at the center of this change is technology. While doctors and physicians are looking for better ways to treat people, technology has brought numerous advancements in the medical field. One of the advancements that has changed the face of the healthcare industry is telemedicine.
Telemedicine software has brought with it increased patient engagement, cost-effectiveness, and accessibility. A telemedicine software allows patients and doctors to share information in real-time, helping them get access to quality healthcare like never before. With the help of telemedicine software, doctors can prescribe diagnosis to a patient in a faraway place, without the need for an appointment. And this is possible, right from the comfort of one’s home.
While there are a plethora of benefits of telemedicine software, medical practices have a hard time choosing the right one that meets their demands and needs. With the right telemedicine software offering a long-term solution rather than a temporary fix, medical practices must dedicate time and knowledge to choose the right one.
Here are 5 factors that every practice must check for in telemedicine software
Security and compliance
Often overlooked, security and compliance are of paramount importance when a practice is selecting their telemedicine software. One must be mindful of how the software stores the pertinent information, and if it follows the required protocols. One must also ensure that the platform is HIPAA, PHIPA, or PIPEDA compliant along with having end-to-end encryption.
Ease of use
A software’s primary function is to offer seamlessness and make lives simpler and easier for everyone. From the working staff to the patients, software must be easy to navigate, simple to understand, and seamless to use for everyone involved.
Scalable and adaptable
Practices must have the foresight to choose a telemedicine software that is equipped and in-line to meet their demands even for the future. Practices must check for software solutions that have a history of scaling over time, consistently.
It’s never a matter of ‘if’ things go wrong, it’s always a matter of ‘when’ things go wrong for software solutions. And when things do go wrong, practices need the requisite support to get up and running in no time. This requires reliable and communicative support, both online and offline. Practices must check the history of this support before selecting the telemedicine of their choice.
No one wants software that demands a whole suite of other ancillaries. Practices must look at the software and see how it complements its existing suite of solutions. One always wants to have software that works in synergy with other resources.
While these factors can be helpful in choosing the right telemedicine software, it is also imperative to compare two solutions that seem to fit perfectly with the requirements. This comparison can then churn out valuable insights that can be extremely helpful in making an informed decision. Let us now look at the comparison of two of the best telemedicine software solutions that are available in the market – Amwell vs Teladoc
Amwell is one of the biggest telehealth solutions that delivers care through a technology that amalgamates a delightful experience for patients with seamless workflows for providers. Offering care solutions from urgent care to acute care, Amwell’s program provides a holistic ecosystem of consumers, employers, payers, and pharma clients.
Founded in 2006, Amwell has its headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts, United States.
Teladoc Health through its accentuated focus on value, convenience and outcomes is transforming the way healthcare is accessed in the world. Teladoc Health has a global presence with its comprehensive virtual care solutions capable of providing care and convenience to anyone across the world.
Founded in 2002, Teladoc Health has its headquarters in Dallas, Texas, United States.
Amwell vs Teladoc
Industry – Who is it for?
Amwell is best for urgent care providers, acute care providers, pediatrics, physicians, telepsychiatry among others.
Teladoc’s healthcare platform is best for behavioral health professionals, dermatologists, dieticians, and healthcare professionals of all specialties.
- Alert notifications
- Case summary
- File transfer
- GDPR compliance
- HIPAA compliant
- Patient portal
- Patient queue
- Alert notifications
- HIPAA compliant
- Live chat
24/7 (Live rep)
How does it work?
Amwell connects patients with board-certified doctors any time of the day using a mobile, computer, or tablet. All one has to do is:
- Enroll: Patients create an account with Amwell, with all their information securely stored for any future visits.
- Choose: Patients choose the doctor that best works for them. This is displayed through a list of all the available doctors along with their experience levels and ratings.
- Visit: Patients can then see and speak with the doctor right from their home. The mobile and web-based applications make use of high-quality, secure streaming video.
Teladoc offers virtual care by connecting patients with specialists almost instantly. The process is as follows:
- Users must first download the application and set up their account.
- Once signed up, patients can then access any specialist right from the comfort of their home. This can be either through the app, or through the phone, or through a video.
- The application takes care of everything, right from sending a prescription to the pharmacy of choice to getting a review of the condition.
The cost of a visit through Amwell is $79. This cost may be even lesser if employers or an insurance company covers the telehealth visit.
Teladoc has pricing plans starting from $49 per user.
Moreover, with insurance, an Everyday Care visit can be as low as $0 per visit. Without insurance, the cost of Everyday Care is $75 per visit.
- The solution is very user-friendly and is easy to set-up.
- The interface of the software is very simple to understand.
- The software allows users to connect through various mediums.
- The application has a quick response time for users, a feature that is very much needed for a telehealth solution.
- The set-up and usage of the application are very simple.
- The solution has great synergy with insurance plans.
- The sound quality at times is extremely poor.
- The connection is unstable when using endpoints.
- The care offered through the software is a bit limited.
- Getting tests done through the application is not particularly seamless.
- The application’s information is not followed by the login.
Other top telemedicine softwares
While Amwell vs Teladoc is a tough choice, one must be aware of the other telehealth solutions that are available in the market. Here are a few other alternatives:
- Pomelo Health
- NextGen Healthcare
Here’s the entire list of the top telemedicine softwares
In today’s day and age, a telehealth solution offers a plethora of advantages in having accessible care anywhere across the world. However, users must also look at the offerings and be mindful of what fits their needs the best. In this debate of Amwell vs Teladoc, one must not forget that a telehealth solution must primarily offer swift care and convenience without any compromises.